Security isn’t always best when it comes to interior design. In many cases, people are afraid to take the plunge with prints and graphics. But from artwork to accessories and rugs, graphics can often be the best choice for anyone looking to infuse a modern touch as well as add color and pattern to a space.
Where to start? And what are the best ways to infuse graphics into a space without it feeling overwhelming? Here are some ideas to get you started.
1. Consider infusing patterns or graphics into your space through the use of artwork.
2. Not ready to commit? Consider using wearable decor pieces like pillows, throws, and accessories as a way to infuse graphics and patterns.
3. Overlay similar graphic elements in a space, but be careful not to overwhelm.
4. Use a neutral color palette as a base. This will allow the easiest way to build a color palette.
5. Consider graphics in different styles to suit your decorating style.
6. Use graphics and geometry in spaces where you want to add a modern element.
7. Infuse graphics through things like wallpaper and textiles.
8. Look for timeless patterns and graphics to avoid an overly trendy look and feel.
9. Use graphics and patterns in small or large spaces. Consider an accent wall or an inspirational piece.
10. Opt for graphic prints when looking for an alternative to traditional painted canvases.
New York-based Cathy Hobbs is an Emmy Award-winning television host and nationally acclaimed interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York, Boston and Washington, D.C. Contact her at infocathyhobbs. com or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.
Print Headline: Design Recipes: How to Introduce Geometry, Graphic Design into Your Decor